The Summit High AcDec team after placing third in state and winning the gold medal in the team super quiz relay.
Summit, Lake Ridge and Legacy high school students competed in the state Academic Decathlon (AcDec) competition on Feb. 24-25 in El Paso and came back with medals.
AcDec is a ten-event scholastic competition that provides high school students an opportunity to experience the challenges of rigorous academic competition through participation in team activities. Students must compete in seven multiple-choice exams, an essay, an interview and a speech.
Summit High School ranked third in the state of Texas amongst 5A schools with a team score of 46,422. The team earned the gold medal in the team super quiz relay after earning a perfect score. They took home 15 individual medals in addition to $6,750 in scholarship money.
- Daniel Erickson - gold in art (with a perfect 1,000 score), bronze in social science, gold top team honors
- Jake Weaver - bronze in science
- Uzair Saleem - silver in science, silver in social science
- Pedro Ortiz - gold in economics, gold in art, gold top team scholastic
- Caleb Venerable - gold in art, silver in music, bronze in social science, gold as top team varsity, bronze - 3rd place overall individual
- Jacob Shotkoski - 5th place for overall individual score
- Sarah Omar, Samone Card & Sara Rahesh - members of the super quiz relay team
Lake Ridge High School earned four medals. Harrison McEnturff placed third in the interview event. Kylie Dixon placed third in varsity essay and speech. Kyla Fergason earned first place in the honors interview with a perfect score of 1000.
Legacy High School earned a total of five medals. Josh Hogue earned a silver medal for essay and a bronze for interview along with Elliot Reed. Nathan Haslam earned two gold medals in speech and Language/ Literature with perfect scores in each.
Congratulations to all the AcDec students and coaches who participated for their great work.